Saturday 30 April 2016

Walk 37 Wroxall Downs - 2.5 miles

This is my annual trip to the Downs above Ventnor and Wroxall in search of the carpets of bluebells for which they are known. My luck with the weather ran true to form and I left Ventnor in the sun only to arrive in the clouds which persisted until I completed my descent to re-emerge in sunlight back in town.

This time I took the usual path at the Industrial Estate off Mitchell Avenue, walked along the floor of the valley to come up in front of the Radar Station. Here bearing left leads you out to the tarmac road, below which the best of the bluebells are to be found.














I headed back east towards Wroxall instead of my usual Shanklin direction and was rewarded with some fine displays of bluebells. One can go back down the road to come out at Upper Ventnor (with shop) or, as I did, take the steep path left downhill. I took the path and on to come out on the other side of the industrial estate.

Whilst descending  I had a fine view over the rooftops of Ventnor, with the ocean going racing yacht Artemis sailing past the town.


The map below is rather approximate since I tend to wander among ill marked paths but it gives the rough location and route.
Walk Details
Start: Ventnor Industrial Estate, Old Station Rd
Finish: as above
Time: 2 hours
Refreshments: None
WC: None
Bus: No 3 

No comments:

Post a Comment